[syslinux] Failed to allocate memory for kernel command line, bailing out

Marco Bozzolan mailbox at s19n.net
Mon May 11 08:43:02 PDT 2015

> That message comes from main.c when allocate_pages() fails.
> allocate_pages() is just a wrapper that calls BS->AllocatePages.
> Then the first thing I'd do is to test on different booting clients and
> see if the error is related to a particular EFI firmware.

  I am seeing the same on a Dell Poweredge R320 with a Broadcom
NetXtreme BCM5720:

----- cut here -----
>>Start PXE over IPv4.
   Station IP address is 192.168.0.2

   Server IP address is 192.168.0.1
   NBP filename is bootx64.efi
   NBP filesize is 176664 Bytes
  Downloading NBP file...

   Succeed to download NBP file.
Getting cached packet
My IP is 192.168.0.2
Failed to allocate memory for kernel command line, bailing out
Booting kernel failed: Bad file number
boot:
----- cut here -----

Kernel and initrd are taken from
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/trusty-updates/main/installer-amd64/current/images/netboot/netboot.tar.gz
(last update 07-May-2015 03:29)

  I was able to install the server using Grub2 as bootloader, but I'd
prefer to keep the configuration system offered by pxelinux.cfg.

--
https://s19n.net