[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun May 17 11:11:25 PDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> I just upgraded some systems from Fedora 19 (extlinux 4.05)
> to Fedora 21 (extlinux 6.03).  I am using IPMI 2.0 serial-over-lan
> console redirection.  Under the old version, this worked without
> any problem:
>
>    serial 0 57600 0x003
>    ui menu.c32
>    menu title ExtLinux Boot Menu
>    timeout 100
>
>    label Linux1
>
> Using the new version of extlinux in Fedora 21, I can no longer communicate
> with the extlinux boot menu.  It does not see anything that I type.
> I tried grub2, and that works fine.
>
> I tried removing the flowcontrol flag bits, and I also tried 0x00b,
> but nothing works.
>
> I scanned the syslinux changelogs, but I did not find any mention of changes
> in this area.
>
> Does anybody have any idea of what's going wrong and/or a suggestion for how
> to get this working again?  I'd prefer to use extlinux rather than grub2.
>
> Thanks,
> Andy

Are you sure the issue is related to the serial directive / console?

Have you tested the boot menu in a non-serial setup, so to discard
other issues (e.g. that Syslinux 6.03 can actually boot this particular
kernel with this particular options, or that the menu is actually
working)?

Have you tested the serial directive / console without using the UI
directive nor a menu?

For the latter, I mean something like:

SERIAL 0 57600 0x003
DEFAULT Linux1
TIMEOUT 100
LABEL Linux1
LINUX mykernel1
APPEND myoptions1
LABEL Linux2
LINUX mykernel2
APPEND myoptions2

Have you tried using also the CONSOLE and/or NOHALT directives?

Have you tried using official upstream pre-built binaries from
kernel.org?

Feedback is appreciated.

Regards,
Ady.