[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Sun May 17 11:18:03 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 08:06:32PM +0200, Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> "Andrew J. Schorr via Syslinux" <syslinux at zytor.com> writes:
> > Using the new version of extlinux in Fedora 21, I can no longer communicate
> > with the extlinux boot menu.  It does not see anything that I type.
> > I tried grub2, and that works fine.
> >
> > I tried removing the flowcontrol flag bits, and I also tried 0x00b,
> > but nothing works.
>
> I hit the same problem on Fujitsu Primergy CX250 S2 servers.  I ended up
> relying on the BIOS console redirection instead of using the native
> serial support in Syslinux.  It isn't a generic problem, though, as at
> least virtual machines can receive serial input under 6.03.  Testing
> intermediate versions would help finding the problem, but recently I
> can't request much downtime on these servers.

Thanks for confirming that I'm not hallucinating.  I guess I'll switch back to
grub2, since that is easier for me than reconfiguring the BIOS settings on
all of my remote machines.  Are you also using IPMI serial-over-lan
on your Fujitsu servers?  I wonder if this problem occurs only for
IPMI SOL, or whether others have seen it with physical serial connections.
I'd like to narrow it down before filing a bug report.

Regards,
Andy