[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun May 17 17:21:06 PDT 2015

> Hi Ady,
>
> On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 09:11:25PM +0300, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > Are you sure the issue is related to the serial directive / console?
>
> Just to be clear, the boot menu displays properly on the IPMI SOL serial
> console, and the system boots up fine.  It's just that it doesn't
> respond to any user input.  As a result, I cannot boot anything other
> than the default selection.

(snip)

> > Have you tested the serial directive / console without using the UI
> > directive nor a menu?
> >
> > For the latter, I mean something like:
> >
> > SERIAL 0 57600 0x003
> > DEFAULT Linux1
> > TIMEOUT 100
> > LABEL Linux1
> > LINUX mykernel1
> > APPEND myoptions1
> > LABEL Linux2
> > LINUX mykernel2
> > APPEND myoptions2

(snip)

> I tried this.  I also added "prompt 1", and it printed a "boot:"
> prompt, but it doesn't seem to respond to anything that I type.
>
> To reiterate, this exact same configuration was working perfectly
> using extlinux 4.05.
>
> > Have you tried using also the CONSOLE and/or NOHALT directives?
>
> I just patched my extlinux.conf like so:
>
> bash$ head extlinux.conf
> serial 0 115200 0x003
> ui menu.c32
> menu title Telemetry ExtLinux Boot Menu
> timeout 100
> NOHALT 1
> CONSOLE 0
>
> label Linux1
>     menu label Fedora21-x86_64 3.19.7-200.fc21
>     kernel /vmlinuz-3.19.7-200.fc21.x86_64
>
> It still does not respond to keyboard input.

I don't know whether the CONSOLE and NOHALT directives shouldn't rather
be introduced immediately after the SERIAL directive (when they are
used).
In theory, only the SERIAL directive is recommended to be the first one
in the configuration file, but considering that all 3 directives are
related to the serial output, I would also say that, when those
directives are used, I would use them right after the SERIAL directive,
with it being the very first one.

Changing the location of these 2 directives in the cfg file might not
have any effect (in theory), but, as mentioned, the serial behavior has
proven to be not exactly "consistent" across every setup.

Additionally, I would guess that you are using a boot menu with more
than one entry, but since your emails are referencing only one label
directive in your tests, I thought I should better ask...

Are you testing with only one LABEL entry in the configuration file?

This might sound strange, and it might have no effect on the behavior
you are seeing anyway, but having only one label present in the
configuration file affects the behavior of certain directives. By
extension, it might also affect certain input keys.

> > Have you tried using official upstream pre-built binaries from
> > kernel.org?
>
> I have not.  Is it conceivable that Fedora is shipping a botched copy?
> The Fedora source RPM includes a single patch:
>    0001-Add-install-all-target-to-top-side-of-HAVE_FIRMWARE.patch
> This adds some targets to the Makefile.

We have seen building-interaction issues before, so testing with
official upstream pre-built binaries as already included in the
official archives downloaded from kernel.org is part of a regular
troubleshooting process.

I doubt it would make a difference in this situation, and I am not
surprised that Syslinux is not responding to input keys in some serial
console, but until the upstream official pre-built binaries are tested
too, I would tend to think that there is no way to really discard a
building-interaction issue.

In any case, please remember to replace all the Syslinux-related files
that are in use/test, not just the bootloader file, so to avoid
version-mismatch errors.

Regards,
Ady.