[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Mon May 18 10:14:01 PDT 2015

Hi,

On Sun, May 17, 2015 at 10:07:15PM -0400, Andrew J. Schorr via Syslinux wrote:
> > We have seen building-interaction issues before, so testing with
> > official upstream pre-built binaries as already included in the
> > official archives downloaded from kernel.org is part of a regular
> > troubleshooting process.
> >
> > I doubt it would make a difference in this situation, and I am not
> > surprised that Syslinux is not responding to input keys in some serial
> > console, but until the upstream official pre-built binaries are tested
> > too, I would tend to think that there is no way to really discard a
> > building-interaction issue.
> >
> > In any case, please remember to replace all the Syslinux-related files
> > that are in use/test, not just the bootloader file, so to avoid
> > version-mismatch errors.
>
> I will try testing this tomorrow.  I will also try testing with a
> physical serial port instead of IPMI SOL.

I just tested again using Fedora 21 extlinux 6.03 and the same configuration
(but without the HALT or CONSOLE directives).  It works fine on the video
console, and it also works correctly over a physical serial port connection.
So the problem seems to be confined to the IPMI serial-over-lan console.  I was
surprised that it worked correctly on a physical serial port, since I thought
the IPMI takeover of the serial port should be transparent to extlinux.

The last step is to test with the official binaries.  I'm going to try
to figure out how to do that now.

Thanks,
Andy