[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial port with hardware flowcontrol not working

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue May 19 11:58:09 PDT 2015

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 12:12:25AM +0300, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> > I am not at all surprised that the console in v.6.xx is showing some
> > problems under certain situations. I am just trying to narrow down the
> > source of the problem, and one way to do it is to trigger different
> > behaviors with some changes (such as using official binaries).
>
> I just ran one more useful test: using a physical serial port configured with
> hardware flowcontrol.  Previously, I tried a physical serial port with no
> flowcontrol, and that worked fine.  When I enable hardware flowcontrol, I get
> the same symptoms as with the IPMI serial console: I see the output from
> extlinux, but it does not respond to keyboard input.  This makes sense because
> the IPMI SOL 2.0 implementation seems to use hardware flowcontrol, as far
> as I can tell.
>
> So I think the basic bug here is probably that hardware flowcontrol simply
> doesn't work in syslinux 6.03.  Has anybody else tried this?
>
> Regards,
> Andy

FWIW, the latest series of changes in the source code related to the
SERIAL directive / console were introduced around 5.01-pre5 up to
5.11-preN (and _part_ of the changes were related to 'port' values > 0,
). Official binaries (and source code) can be found in kernel.org
(pre-release archives are located under the "testing" subdir).

Testing with v.5.00, and/or v.5.01-preN, and/or v.5.01, and/or
v.5.11-preN might be worth (preferably with a very simple cfg, with CLI
only, no menu, "PROMPT 1", no timer). I believe that testing the
behavior of the SERIAL console with these versions would narrow down
the range of commits for evaluation, whether they still fail as 6.03 or
whether they work correctly.

Please keep in mind that versions 5.xx contain other bugs that were
resolved only in 6.03 (and the latter also has regressions).

TIA,
Ady.