[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 02:34:29 PDT 2015

> On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 11:42:32PM -0400, Andrew J. Schorr via Syslinux wrote:
> By the way, it seems like there's a basic problem here that we can't flag any
> errors in the config file.  Is there any way to give an error indication when a
> syntax error is encountered?  For example, if it says "serial fubar", the code
> treats "fubar" as 0 and does not throw an error.  If there were a way to flag
> errors in the config file, I'd tighten up this code considerably...
>
> Regards,
> Andy

The problem is that 'SERIAL foobar' is being converted/interpreted as
'SERIAL 0', not as erroneous syntax.

FWIW, the ONERROR directive is for a failing boot (kernel), not for
problematic configuration syntax (that doesn't generate a failing
boot).

_Perhaps_ the debug.c32 module might be of some help here? I don't
really know.

Usually, first the debug.c32 command is executed, and then the normal
boot entry. Since we are currently trying to debug the SERIAL directive
and console response themselves (rather than a specific boot entry),
then the debug.c32 module and some other simple c32 module (e.g.
pwd.c32, test*.c32, hello.c32) might be enough.

Then the resulting output could be collected in a log file.

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Development/Debugging#Syslinux_Dy
namic_Debugger

Regards,
Ady.