[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed May 20 10:14:35 PDT 2015

> The documentation should mention only the currently supported formats though.

Documentation can be found in several forms, and, generally speaking,
the most "current" one is the official wiki.

The wiki serves for any version, not just the latest. When appropriate,
specific (ranges of) versions are mentioned.

The non-decimal values for the SERIAL directive are supposed to be
supported, and hopefully a patch will correct this regression bug.

Modifying the main documentation according to bugs could cause
confusion, and maintaining clear (i.e. understandable and not outdated)
documentation takes time too.

So, the main documentation of the SERIAL directive should remain, clear
and concise.

Yet, I agree. Considering that now we know what is happening, and that
there are workarounds available for common users (until the bug is
corrected), users would benefit from documenting the potential
problematic behavior, and possible workarounds.

Thus, a new (basic, simple) section has been created already
 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Serial

and relevant references (links) have been added in other places in the
official wiki.

Regards,
Ady.