[syslinux] extlinux 6.03 serial console not responding to input

Andrew J. Schorr aschorr at telemetry-investments.com
Wed May 20 10:32:37 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 20, 2015 at 05:44:19PM +0300, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> There are at least 2 other directives that (should) accept different
> types of notations: LOCALBOOT and SYSAPPEND (IPAPPEND).

The SYSAPPEND command looks OK.  It says:

        } else if ((ep = looking_at(p, "ipappend")) ||
                   (ep = looking_at(p, "sysappend"))) {
            uint32_t s = strtoul(skipspace(ep), NULL, 0);
            if (ld.label)
                ld.ipappend = s;
            else
                SysAppends = s;

It correctly uses strtoul with the 3rd (base) argument set to 0.

The LOCALBOOT code path is much more complicated, since it is treated as a
kernel type.  It seems to stuff the argument into the kernel field of struct
labeldata.  It then appears to copy the value into struct menu_entry cmdline.

I think the relevant code is here in com32/elflink/ldlinux/execute.c:

        } else if (type == IMAGE_TYPE_LOCALBOOT) {
                local_boot(strtoul(kernel, NULL, 0));

That looks OK, since the base is again set to zero.

Regards,
Andy