[syslinux] Windows vs. Linux commands

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 17 00:47:45 PST 2015

> I have had some difficulty creating a bootable ESXi installation media on a USB disk in Windows(Kickstart scripts read by VMwares Weasel are not running properly), it works in Linux. The problem might have nothing to do with Syslinux, but I still want to ask a question regarding Syslinux to be sure there are variations as result of installing Syslinux to a USB drive in Windows vs Linux.
>
> In Linux I do it this way(using version 4.03): sgdisk –zap
> /dev/$DISKPARTITION syslinux -i /dev/${DISKPARTITION}1 dd conv=notrunc
> bs=440 if=/usr/lib/syslinux/mbr.bin of=/dev/$DISKPARTITION parted
> /dev/$DISKPARTITION set 1 boot on
>

> In Windows I do it this way(having only the exe file at the executing location, same version):
> syslinux.exe -f -m -a X:
>
> Are these two ways exactly equivalent, or are there any differences in the result?
>
> I realize the command in Windows does not perform sgdisk –zap.
> Mvh.
> Atle Holm

The Windows-based command takes your "X:", independently of other
possible values of the physical device; i.e. "X:" could be a partition
and its initial offset could be "anything" (including "zero", for
instance in a non-partitioned device, or 63 sectors, or 2048, or...).
Additionally, "X:" could be pre-formatted with some file system that
might not be supported by the "syslinux.exe" installer. I am mentioning
these points not because of the syslinux command itself, but because of
the other commands you used under Linux, and because you have not
mentioned the file system (nor the fs formatting command) you are
using.

Regarding the syslinux command line options, you seem to be missing the
"-i" parameter under Windows.

Additionally, the "-f" parameter should be optional and, generally
speaking, not needed. If, for any reason, the command without "-f" does
not succeed (or if the device is not bootable in no system after
installing SYSLINUX), you could then try with the "-f" parameter. But
the need for the "-f" parameter might indicate that some other process
might be "using" the same "X:" device while the syslinux command is
executed, which is, generally speaking, not an ideal situation. I am
not necessarily saying that it is wrong to use "-f", but if the
procedure is not completely successful without it, then this could be a
sign that something else, not the syslinux command, might be at fault
or at least interfering with the process.

Updating to Syslinux 4.05 or 4.07 might be one potential
troubleshooting step too (in case the simpler ones are not enough).

Please remember that all files, including c32 modules, shall be
originated from the same version / build. If you happen to use some
special version of c32 modules, then using some other version / build
of the installer(s) could be a problem in some cases.

For general info about the installers:

 http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Install

Regards,
Ady.