[syslinux] Comments WAS: Refactor checksize.pl

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 19 12:22:05 PST 2015

> > - Remove padsize argument as it is never used.
> > - Add an usage printed when $file is not set or --help, -h
> >   is the first argument.
> > - Add basic tests for this script.
> > ---
> >  mbr/checksize.pl      | 27 ++++++++++++++++++---------
> >  mbr/checksize_test.sh | 22 ++++++++++++++++++++++
> >  create mode 100644 mbr/checksize_test.sh
> >

> Just to make sure: the goal of the shell script is to check the perl script?
> If so, I wonder if it wouldn't be better in the test directory if it
> is needed at all. I'll let the others comment on that.
>
> I agree with your simplification of checksize.pl, but have you
> searched through the history to see if there wasn't a good reason to
> separate maxsize and padsize?
>

> Celelibi

For what my personal opinion might be worth...

I don't like the idea of changing "UI" (e.g. command line options that
might be used by some users) without very well-thought reasoning.

In the particular case of "padsize" vs. "maxsize" (options / parameters
of the Perl script), there used to be a separate use of them. Although
there _seems_ to be no use for having both of them simultaneously at
this time _for a normal build of Syslinux_, we cannot discard /
disregard the possibility that some script in some distro might want to
take advantage of each of them independently, especially for some
debugging situation (e.g. some buggy / old BIOS).

Another potential (hypothetical) use-case might be some "bootable USB
tool" making use of some/many/all parts of the Syslinux code. Let's not
forget that some distros are still using older versions of Syslinux
(even v. 3.xx), and (unnecessarily) changing command line options makes
the updates (unnecessarily) more difficult, generally speaking.

I am not against changing code, but, as common user, I differentiate
between "internal-only" code and code that "interacts" with users. I
don't know how much this particular suggested change is necessary /
desired, and of course I don't know how much it would potentially
affect third-party tools / users; these comments are more general than
this particular email thread.

Example: the "simple" change (since Syslinux v.6.xx) of the location of
binary files (such as "mbr.bin") by moving them to the "bios/"
sub-directory tree has had a clear impact on third-party tools and
distros; most common users (and more-than-one developer / maintainer of
third-party tools / packages) have a negative view / opinion regarding
this change of directory.

BTW, let's not forget the existence of the "diag/*" files in Syslinux.

Regards,
Ady.
PS: Let's also not forget the existence of other methods / code to
generate / install MBRs and/or VBRs such as:
 _ "sys.com" / "sys.exe" (v.3.8) from FreeDOS;
 _ "sys-freedos-linux";
 _ "ms-sys" ( _code in C_ ) and its forks such as:
  _ "ms-sys-free" (current latest code is older than its parent);
  _ a fork of "ms-sys" by Pete Batard (used in RUFUS) with additional
recent patches.

Common users and third-party scripts might rather use the Perl script
for simplicity, so having scripts available is helpful. Having code
written in C for the generation / installation of MBRs / VBRs might be
(at least in part, or as a first step) an alternative to the generation
of the current syslinux / extlinux installers, and/or eventually an
alternative installation method.