[syslinux] git clone of syslinux with http - submodule issue

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 22:03:20 PST 2015

> On Sun, Nov 22, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Ady via Syslinux <syslinux at zytor.com>
> wrote:
>>
>>> The wiki:
>
>> As of the moment I am writing this email, the current version of the
>> page you are actually referring to:
>>
>>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=Development&oldid=4419
>>
>> was last edited on 2015Oct25.
>
>>> says to use this to clone git with http rather than git protocol:
>>>       git clone --recursive http://repo.or.cz/syslinux.git
>>> a-new-directory
>>>
>>> That works for the main project, but fails for the gnu-efi
>>> submodule, which specifies the git protocol in its .config file:
>
>>> ---
>>> Robert Elliott, HPE Persistent Memory
>
>> As of the current version of the aforementioned wiki page, I would not
>> had interpreted the text the same way you wrote it here.
>>
>> Anyway, have you actually tried the first suggested method to clone the
>> repo:
>>
>>  git clone --recursive git://repo.or.cz/syslinux.git a-new-directory
>>
>> using git, not http? Is _that_ working correctly?
>
> Ady, no need.  Smells like he's behind a firewall that blocks tcp/9418
> but allows tcp/80.
>
> Robert, I just updated the directions and it should help your issue.

I think Robert knows how to circumvent the issue and was just trying to help.

Your modification of the wiki will make it always show the submodule
as modified and some git commands might reset it to its initial state.
While the solution proposed by Robert (using the git config
core.gitproxy) is much more reliable.

IMO the only question is: should we point a link to the gist or copy
the script to the wiki?

Celelibi