[syslinux] Only 2.5G of RAM available then syslinux64.efi boots 32-bit linux 686-pae

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 21:52:53 PST 2015

> <syslinux at zytor.com>:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm booting linux-3.16-686-pae kernel (32-bit) via syslinux.efi 64-bit
>> version.
>> After boot linux sees only 2.5G of RAM while system has 32G installed.
>>
>> If I boot the same kernel with GRUB64 efi instead of syslinux
>> then amount of RAM available to linux is 32G.
>>
>> Is this a bug or I'm missing something?
>
> Is it possible to have access to the kernel you're trying to boot?

(Shamless third message in a row.)

It looks like there is no automatic build of the sysappend string in
UEFI. So you may try adding the following option in your config.
sysappend CPU=6:P

You may also try the less prefered kernel option "forcepae" documented
as follow:

	forcepae [X86-32]
			Forcefully enable Physical Address Extension (PAE).
			Many Pentium M systems disable PAE but may have a
			functionally usable PAE implementation.
			Warning: use of this parameter will taint the kernel
			and may cause unknown problems.

So, enable it at your own risks.
BTW, what CPU are you trying to boot?

Celelibi