[syslinux] [OT} Problem with 90MB Initrd

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 1 08:02:51 PDT 2015

> On 10/1/2015 6:18 AM, Patrick Masotta via Syslinux wrote:
>
> > -Gene<<<
> > Considering any editing/buffering benefits are only marginal (AFAIK) there are not benefits with the current approach.On the other hand the list of potential problems includes:
> > 1) We cannot use the ubiquitous EFI PXEbc protocol forcing us to rely on the (not always present) EFI Binding Services.
> > Best,Patrick
>
> Speaking utterly ignorantly here... could this switch help with the
> issues we see with HP systems?  The load-and-hang many of them do with
> syslinux.efi as discussed here?   E.g., maybe they implement this
> protocol a little better...?
> -Alan

Apologies for this slight off-topic.

Who "they" would be?

Let's not fool ourselves. HP _might_ solve possible issues regarding
their firmware when a (current) MS OS / bootloader shows some problem
for users of newish HP hardware. Let me emphasize: HP will _only_
consider publishing a firmware update under certain specific
conditions, and any issue related (even loosely) with using
syslinux.efi in HP hardware is not one of such circumstances.

Any non-MS bootloader will probably have "disadvantages" regarding the
compatibility between HP's firmware and the bootloader, simply because
HP does not test any other bootloader.

Back to the main topic now.

Regards,
Ady.