[syslinux] [OT} Problem with 90MB Initrd

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Fri Oct 2 07:36:35 PDT 2015

On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 08:02:32PM +0000, Patrick Masotta via Syslinux wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 01, 2015 at 06:02:51PM +0300, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> >
> > Apologies for this slight off-topic.

No, on-topic.

Syslinux is about booting Linux on (y)our hardware.

> > Who "they" would be?
> >
> > Let's not fool ourselves. HP _might_ solve possible issues regarding
> > their firmware when a (current) MS OS / bootloader shows some problem
> > for users of newish HP hardware. Let me emphasize: HP will _only_
> > consider publishing a firmware update under certain specific
> > conditions, and any issue related (even loosely) with using
> > syslinux.efi in HP hardware is not one of such circumstances.
> >
> > Any non-MS bootloader will probably have "disadvantages" regarding the
> > compatibility between HP's firmware and the bootloader, simply because
> > HP does not test any other bootloader.
> >

> I agree with you.Because of the reasons you just mentioned I have said
> not long ago that we should stick as much as we can to bootmgfw.efi
> (MS EFI Bootmanager) in the way of doing things under EFI. This simple
> strategywill save us countless hours of painful debugging many times
> just to discover that X or Y FW is not really compliant to the EFI
> standard or it is just buggy in some area that bootmgfw.efi does
> not use.

It is up to us to talk with hardware vendors
that their bootROM could be better.

Being better implemented or being better documented.

Impersonating another bootloader,
will keep us impersonating that bootloader.

With bad side-effect that hardware vendor will neglect other bootloaders.

Thing I want to say is that the days of a powerfull Microsoft are over,
these are the days of collaboration.

Groeten
Geert Stappers
--