[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:45:50 PDT 2015

> <<< Please correct me if I'm wrong: Supporting multiple open files
> could've been done mapping the "whole" file in memory w/o requiring
> multiple in-progress TFTP transfers right? >>>

The following comments will be dismissed (or ignored) by some readers
(or even by many of them), with qualifiers such as "irrelevant" (or
possibly worse).

One of the characteristics of Syslinux that is valued by common users
is its simplicity (yet still powerful) in the configuration syntax.

One other characteristic of Syslinux that has been appreciated by
common users during the last couple of decades (or so) is low
requirements. For storage devices, the needed space has been climbing
up since version 5; yet the minimal RAM requirements are still around
the tens-of-KiB in order of magnitude.

Considering that I am not a developer, when I read things like 'mapping
the "whole" file in memory' I fear that the minimal RAM requirements
could be (eventually) disregarded (too). I hope for RAM requirements to
be always kept as minimal as possible, around the same order of
magnitude as they have been for years. Or at least, always empower the
user with options.

Regards,
Ady.