[syslinux] UEFI: Failed to load ldlinux.e64/ldlinux.e32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 2 23:20:10 PDT 2015

> I have a patch that I think may help your situation of syslinux.efi
> being unable to load ldlinux.e64/ldlinux.e32 (though I don't know if
> any of you are using an EFI ia32 platform).
>
> The basics are that we try to enable UseDefaultAddress as it helps
> certain clients with routing and works on numerous other clients.  If
> we timeout on receiving a packet and have never received any packets,
> disable UseDefaultAddress and set the addresses manually.
>

> git://github.com/geneC/syslinux.git
> https://github.com/geneC/syslinux.git
>
> Branch 1efipxe
>

> My test x86-64 binaries:
> https://sites.google.com/site/genecsyslinux/sl604p0g17-x64.tgz?attredirects=0&d=1
>
> --
> -Gene

Some points to consider, IMHO:

_ Silly question: is it clear to everyone / anyone how exactly would
that manual configuration would be achieved?

_ Updating the firmware is probably still very much recommended.

_ Considering that HP's employees (correctly, IMHO) assume that the
Syslinux family of bootloaders _should_ work correctly on their
hardware, I wish HP, Dell, and other manufacturers would also
"collaborate" with relevant projects, for example by testing their
firmware with Syslinux, with relevant effective consequences. I wish, I
hope.

_ Regression tests would be very welcome. In other words, tests (and
feedback) on "both" types of cases (those that were previously failing
and those that were previously working successfully) would be
appreciated.

_ This is a public mailing list. Following email threads is much easier
when replies can be read _after_ the prior email / text (as any other
type of written conversation / text would). Please, avoid top-posting
whenever possible.

TIA,
Ady.