[syslinux] EFI PXE local boot - current state?

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Wed Oct 7 13:55:30 PDT 2015

Back in 2013 time frame, as in the thread:
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-August/020655.html

For doing a local disk boot on EFI systems, the "localboot -1" command
was suggested, to force the system to fail to the (as I understand) next
item in the boot order (hopefully the hard disk).

I've seen some issues with this in preliminary testing, specifically
around whether the boot order had network first or disk first; and if
the system was set to a one-time boot from network.   In this case, I
saw syslinux (6.03) go into a boot loop, just going back to the syslinux
menu.

Are there any more recent thoughts about the best way to handle local
disk boots from EFI syslinux PXE?   Thanks in advance.
-Aan