[syslinux] Call to become new committer/maintainer

Celelibi celelibi at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 18:21:12 PDT 2015

> On Tue, Sep 01, 2015 at 11:40:14PM -0300, Raphael S Carvalho via Syslinux
> wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2015 at 8:58 PM, Paulo Alcantara via Syslinux <
>> syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > My name is Paulo Alcantara. I've been working on BIOS/UEFI firmware and
>> > file systems development for a long time already. For those does not
>> > know, in the past few years I used to be an active Syslinux contributor
>> > and added support to NTFS and XFS file systems, GSoC mentor for
>> > Syslinux in 2012, did some bugfixes and some code refactoring (e.g. x86
>> > assembly to pure C) and currently working on multifs support for both
>> > UEFI and BIOS.
>> >
>> > Syslinux was one the first (and the best, IMO) open source projects I
>> > ever worked on and it's *really* sad to see it dying slowly due to no
>> > enough time (or any other personal-related thing) from both HPA and
>> > Genec sides. We've seen a lot of patches on the mailing lists that did
>> > not get chance to be either reviewed or applied and that means we will
>> > potentially loose a lot contributions -- or even worse, contributors.
>> >
>> > Therefore, I'm here to call to become the new committer/maintainer of
>> > the Syslinux project and help the project as much as I can on
>> > reviewing/applying patches, tracking and fixing bugs, supporting new
>> > contributors and the project itself.
>> >
>> Congratulations! Syslinux will benefit a lot from your maintenance.
>>

> What I observed:
>
>  * Some one steps forward and says: I want to be committer/maintainer
>  * there is a congratution
>  * there were no objections
>  * and silence
>

> I wonder if Paulo now has the privileges/rights/power
> for bringing Syslinux in better shape.

I think the original mail was just a badly formulated anouncement.
Here are the few lines that happened on IRC just before he sent that
mail.

2015 sept. 02 00:56:33 <hpa>    It's pretty clear Gene can't be the
sole patch maintainer, and I literally can't because of my current
personal situation.  I'd personally be happy to open it up to anyone
who has been a significant contributor in the past, because the
alternative is that the project dies.
2015 sept. 02 00:56:46 <hpa>    pcacjr: would you be interested in that role?
2015 sept. 02 01:12:04 <pcacjr> hpa: yeah
2015 sept. 02 01:13:40 <pcacjr> currently I'm having some free time to
hack other stuffs I'm working and I'd certainly be able to do this
2015 sept. 02 01:17:05 <hpa>    Could you post something to the
mailing list perhaps?
2015 sept. 02 01:19:58 <pcacjr> hpa: about taking over
"maintainership" of Syslinux?
2015 sept. 02 01:22:45 <hpa>    Or call it becoming a committer
2015 sept. 02 01:23:09 <pcacjr> hpa: OK

I'll let him confirm, but I think it has been approved and done already.

Celelibi