[syslinux] UEFI: Failed to load ldlinux.e64/ldlinux.e32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 11 17:03:07 PDT 2015

> Let me know what kind of info would be useful for debugging the
> mboot issue, and I will collect it all.  Also, EFI is still somewhat
> new to me, so I don't know how to find the UEFI firmware revision
> or UEFI extension agents.  I'll see if it's in the server manual,
> but if you have an idea how one typically finds those, I'd appreciate
> any pointers.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> --
> Michael Glasgow <glasgow at beer.net>

Any method useful for a "legacy" firmware (aka "BIOS"), should be
available for UEFI.

Some possible methods (please read all of them):

_ Shown in a "normal" POST screen during boot, and usually shown also
in the firmware setup screens. KISS :).

_ Using some tool that retrieves DMI data; although such tool should
rather have its database updated for new-ish hardware.

_ hdt.c32. Erwan Velu has updated the hdt code recently, some of it for
DMI. For these updates to be effective, it needs to be re-built from
current git HEAD together with the core module, the library modules and
the bootloader. Whether it would then work correctly (under UEFI), I do
not know.

_ Using the SYSAPPEND directive in the Syslinux configuration file
(hint: then check the resulting generated Syslinux cookie for the
relevant client system, or run 'cat /proc/cmdline' in the booted
system). If the server boots with Syslinux, this method would apply to
it too.

A possible SYSAPPEND statement could be:

SYSAPPEND 0x18000

or its decimal alternative (in case the hex value fails for some
reason):

SYSAPPEND 98304

should provide:

BIOSVENDOR=     BIOS vendor name
BIOSVERSION=    BIOS version

Regards,
Ady.

PS: Could the issue with booting Xen be not related to mboot.c32, but
rather to something else (for instance, to something like the current
"keeppxe" failing)?