[syslinux] Doubt in Syslinux with PXE server with boot ISO image

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 16:29:01 PDT 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:53 PM, spiderslack via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> HI all,
>
> I set up a PXE server by following the following howto (
> http://www.tecmint.com/install-pxe-network-boot-server-in-centos-7/ ) is
> working but I noticed him running I need the CD in one repository http or
> nfs.
>
> because it is necessary to have everything in ISO image? it is possible to
> boot an ISO by the network as I do with the CD or DVD?

not be done with TFTP alone and requires that you pass certain
distro-specific parameters on the kernel command line to tell the
initrd to find additional files in RAM.  Instructions will vary by
distribution.  The idea of putting the rest on HTTP/FTP/NFS is
generally prefered.  Loading from the boot loader will be
significantly slower than from the Linux kernel.

This also requires that you have enough RAM to load the entire ISO
into RAM while still having enough free to run everything you need.
Bear in mind, you'll be restricted to using only the first 4GiB for
the ISO and RAM beyond the 4GiB mark might not be usable at all (can't
recall precisely how it manipulates the map).

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/MEMDISK#Linux

--
-Gene