[syslinux] Confusion on lpxelinux vs. gpxelinux vs. ipxe vs gpxe.

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 19:34:56 PDT 2015

On 24/10/15 21:57, Doug Scoular via Syslinux wrote:
> 1. gpxe - a mothballed Network Boot Program but with a possibly problematic
> and slow HTTP implementation.
> 2. ipxe - an active fork of gpxe but still with the possibly problematic
> and slow HTTP implementation (?)

iPXE's HTTP implementation is definitely not slow.  On a Gigabit LAN,
you should get the full 1000Mbps speed for HTTP downloads: a 200MB test
file should transfer in under two seconds.  For most practical OS boots,
you won't even have time to read the text that iPXE displays on-screen.
<<<
HTTP at line speed (1Gb) on an iPXE client?
I was never able to get anything even close to that.

Also, not a fork: http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commitdiff/8406115
Michael Brown

<<<
it is a fork