[syslinux] Isohybrid wiki page and UEFI

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sun Oct 25 08:35:57 PDT 2015

Hi,

Bruno Cornec wrote:
> My test script on RHEL 7.1 creates that even if I could make it smaller
> as the kernel + initrd fits in less than 32 MB. So let me make that try
> first !
>
> o I changed myline in the script to dd a 30 MB image file, burt the ISO
> with it, and no change. Still the same 2 red screens shown in
> alternance.

This does not look like it is a problem with partition size.

I assume you can boot Fedora Live CD on the same (virtual) hardware.
Just to make sure that the firmware works so far.

Bruno Cornec wrote:
> I've never use your tool before, but I'm keen to make a try to see if
> that helps solving the problem I met (which could indeed be linked to
> the way the mkisofs/genisoimage from RHEL burns the ISO)

Get this 2.5 MB all-in-one tarball

  http://www.gnu.org/software/xorriso/xorriso-1.4.1.tar.gz

MD5: 308c7983336edd840fcdda760183e52a

In a directory of your choice, do

  tar xzf xorriso-1.4.1.tar.gz
  cd xorriso-1.4.1
  ./configure && make

check success by

  xorriso/xorriso -version

which should say
  xorriso version   :  1.4.1
  Version timestamp :  2015.10.25.123601

Use it by its full path
  xorriso=$(pwd)/xorriso/xorriso

Or install it system-wide as superuser by
  make install
and use it by its command name
  xorriso="xorriso"

In both cases do

  $xorriso -as mkisofs ...your.genisoimage.arguments...

Let's see whether my emulation knows all your options.

In any case i would be interested to see what xorriso reports
about the boot equipment of your already existing ISO

  $xorriso -indev ...path.to.ISO... \
           -report_el_torito plain \
           -report_system_area plain \
           -print '' \
           -print '===== Proposed bootability options with -as mkisofs :' \
           -print '' \
           -report_el_torito as_mkisofs \
           -print ''

In case it does not like your options, have a look at the proposed
ones. (Be mistrusting. It's advise from an automat.)

Options are described in
  man "$xorriso"fs.1

or (after make install)
  man xorrisofs

(The output with Fedora Live CD ISO might be of interest, too.)

Have a nice day :)

Thomas