[syslinux] Still fighting localboot on EFI - looping

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:37:50 PDT 2015

> With Gene's recent test binaries, localboot (0 or 1) for argument:
> * I've tried reordering the boot order, putting disks after the NICs.
> Basically putting the PXE interface that can boot at the top, other
> stuff (disks, USB, etc) last.

Could you please clarify? You previously wrote that you used 'localboot
-1' (that's a minus one), and now you write 'localboot 1'.

I would suggest setting in the firmware the relevant NIC as first boot
device, and then the relevant HDD as second boot device.

If the boot order in the firmware can only select a generic "HDD" item
(as opposed to selecting a specific HDD connected to a specific device
port), I would suggest looking also at additional settings in the
firmware.

For troubleshooting purposes, I would suggest connecting the relevant
HDD to the "first" port available, disabling / disconnecting any other
storage devices. I would suggest a similar procedure with potential
NICs (or with any other alternative network boot method) leaving only
the main network boot method that is being used (as the first boot
device, for these tests). I understand that this could be
time-consuming, and not always possible. Unfortunately, there are only
few ways that we can actually help without having direct access to the
same exact setup, so restricting / limiting the setup to the most
minimal and simplified possible could perhaps be the only way to
trigger a different behavior that could give us some clue as to where
the source of the problem could be located.

I would also suggest potential alternative commands:
_ localboot 0
_ localboot -1
_ localboot 0x80
_ localboot 128

Not all of them will work (for several reasons), but that's beyond the
point. The goal would be to trigger (one way or another) different
behaviors or different error messages, so the different potential
results could help narrow down the source of the problem.

Let's also not forget that the behavior of the 'localboot' directive
has been always dependent on the firmware capabilities.

Regards,
Ady