[syslinux] Isohybrid wiki page and UEFI

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Fri Oct 30 05:21:49 PDT 2015

Hi,

Ady wrote:
> I cannot understand the logic of
> using a code (patched or not) that has not been maintained since 2010
> and that has not been tested with syslinux.efi.

The El Torito catalog of the shown ISO is ok, regardless by
what program the ISO was made. Neither mkisofs nor xorriso
could produce a better one for the given boot images.

(Boot success of xorriso produced ISOs with GRUB2 FAT images
 shows that my understanding of El Torito and UEFI is noti
 too bad in this case.)

> Every document from RH / Fedora that _I_ have
> read about UEFI also includes some kind of mixed information; for
> instance, assuming GRUB2 as bootloader without clearly discerning what
> is "UEFI" text and what is "GRUB2" text

Most probably a reflection of the fact that nobody managed yet
to boot SYSLINUX via EFI out of ISO 9660 from optical medium.
(One should test whether isohybrid ISO on USB stick works better.)

Matthew Garrett is the person who developed Fedora's mixed
ISOLINUX/GRUB2 bootable ISOs.
He also developed the options --uefi and --mac of isohybrid.c.
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/4957.html
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/11285.html
Regrettably i cannot find in his articles a hint about why he
chose to use GRUB2 and not SYSLINUX for EFI.
  http://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/

Have a nice day :)

Thomas