[syslinux] BUG: confusion between next-server and gateway

Costas Drogos costasd at sigsegv.gr
Wed Sep 2 02:54:35 PDT 2015

Hello,

I'am trying to efi-netboot a HP ProLiant DL120 Gen9[1], that has
multiple NICs, one embedded 2-port and an extra 4-port, so I got to the
HP/EFI/multinic problem.

I read through the multinic mailthreads and using current master[2], it
booted successfully to syslinux but then another problem manifested:
Syslinux for some reason asks the gateway and not next-server about
ldlinux.e64 (I got this through tcpdumping the gw)

Our setup is the following:

10.1.10.1: gw
10.1.10.105: client-to-be-booted
192.168.1.2: dhcp next-server/tftp, routed through gw

To make sure that this is a syslinux bug, I disabled the extra nics
through HP's firmware (so that the multinic problem would not manifest)
and booted successfully to debian installer with stable syslinux 6.03.

Some bisecting (from 6.03 onwards) and reboots later, the first commit
that exhibits this behaviour seems to be 'f858a54 efi: Hunt for service
binding handle if needed'

Sadly I'm not that familiar with syslinux/EFI internals to help you
more, but I can test anything you throw at me :)

Regards,
Costas

[1] Upgraded to latest firmware/drivers as of yesterday
[2] Current master now is on d70168d