[syslinux] TFTP-HPA beginner needs help

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Sep 2 13:21:43 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 08:28:22AM -0500, John via Syslinux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to flash new firmware into a router using TFTP-HPA.  I
> am running Ubuntu 14.04 on a flash drive and still learning how to
> use Linux.  I have also installed XINETD.D
>
> In one of the README files that comes with TFTP-HPA it said not to
> call it using tptp.
>
> Here are the instructions I'm trying to follow:
>
>        cd /tmp ; tftp -gl aa 192.168.0.9; sh aa

Translated: go to directory /tmp ; TFTP get file 'aa' from 192.168.0.9,
  where 192.168.0.9 is your TFTP server ; execute the commands in 'aa'

> I do not know what tftp server was used by the person that wrote
> these commands and cannot seem to get a password to post on board on
> which they were posted.
>
> Can you tell me how I should modify these commands?

   cd /tmp
   ping -c 3 192.168.0.9   # check if TFTP server respons on ping
   tftp 192.168.0.9   # connect to TFTP server, you should get a new prompt
   get aa
   exit
   # you shold be back in shell prompt
   cat aa  # check the aa script