[syslinux] Using syslinux to boot xen without initrd

Ingrid Ribeiro Galvez inrigalvez at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 01:46:25 PDT 2015

Erwan, I'm using syslinux v3.85

Gene, the kernel was built using buildroot (and I checked that Xen support
was enabled). Didn't try without the menu, will see that now.

Also, I saw a short note on syslinux mboot wiki page: "A really good use
case for this (using mboot.c32) is booting Xen <http://xensource.com>, or
any other hypervisor-based virtualization pieces that also require an
initrd/initramfs. If your Xen boot doesn't require an initrd, then it is
possible to utilize the existing kernel/append method." (
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Mboot.c32) .... I'm not sure what
they mean by "existing kernel/append method" though...

I 've already tried stuff such as:

1)
LABEL Xen Hypervisor
     MENU DEFAULT
     KERNEL ../xen-4.3.2.gz
     APPEND root=/dev/sda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600 rw loglevel=5

and

2)

LABEL Xen Hypervisor
     MENU DEFAULT
     KERNEL ../vmlinuz-2.6.31.8
     APPEND ../xen-4.3.2.gz root=/dev/sda1 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600
rw loglevel=5

But none of this have worked. Hope you guys can help me figure out what I'm
doing wrong.

Thank you very much for your time!

Cheers,

Ingrid