[syslinux] quesiton about the mem=size option

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 18:13:43 PDT 2015

On Sep 9, 2015 6:21 PM, "john via Syslinux" <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:

> I"m sorry if this is not the correct place for this question but i have
not been able to locate any documentation on the mem=size  option for
memdisk

> The only thing  i have found is
> mem=size           Mark available memory above this point as Reserved.

Actually this is more a SYSLINUX option that has common use with memdisk.

> But i'm not sure if this is accurate and i'd like to understand the
purpose of this option

> I am PXE booting a LENOVO  machine which fails unless i add  mem=2048m
and i am trying to better understand what this is doing so I can better
understand why this works but leaving it out fails.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/E820

It sets the highest address usable for loading a kernel and initrd and
adjusts the INT 15h calls so that the memory is reserved.

--Gene