[syslinux] PXE-Linux like default configuration file selection with syslinux?

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:01:09 PDT 2015

> On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 9:37 AM, Sven Geggus via Syslinux
> <syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > when booting via pxelinux I can change the image to be booted based on
> > client uuid, and MAC-Adresses.
> > http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/PXELINUX#Configuration
> >
> > Now when using syslinux I would like to be able to also do this as I like to
> > use one usb flash-drive for booting multiple machines.
> >
> > Is this possible or impossible by design because syslinux always uses
> > syslinux.cfg?
>
> In a sense.  You'll need a COM32 to be the selector rather than the
> core Syslinux binary itself.  The initial config will run the selector
> and the selector would choose the next configuration.  See also
> ifcpu.c32 and the like.
>
> --
> -Gene

Unfortunately, even coding such c32 module selector would not be enough
nowadays for "automatic" selection (manual selection is obviously
possible, but such method would be somewhat limited in practical
situations).

We already have several if*.c32 and whichsys.c32, which might help in
some cases (and might be an initial inspiration for a new selector c32
module). But those are relevant for BIOS systems.

When trying to use the same portable storage device for a mix of BIOS
and/or UEFI systems, then we are limited to either BIOS+UEFI32 or
BIOS+UEFI64.

In the same sense that if*.c32 and whichsys.c32 are (partially) helpful
for automatic selection, my one-year-old proposal and resulting patch
[1] would help to have BIOS+UEFI32+UEFI64 in one (portable) storage
device.

Yet, a fully-automatic selector (based on some particular
characteristic of each system) is not currently available.

There are ways to retrieve some information from a booted / booting
system (hdt, sysdump, SYSAPPEND...), but then we are already late as a
boot selector.

[1]:
 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-October/022712.html
 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2014-August/022545.html