[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Fri Sep 18 07:35:14 PDT 2015

On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 10:02 AM, Mathias Radtke via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently trying to replace our companies elilo UEFI PXE boot with
> syslinux.
> I compiled all the needed files and the DHCP distributes them fine to the
> requesting client.
>
> However when I try to boot our companies miniroot the DHCP serves the file,
> but it seems like it never finishes.
> The image is generated with the following command:
> find . | grep -v 'name'.bz2 | cpio -o -H newc | bzip2 > 'name'.bz2
> The image has a size of 90MB.

1) This is actually a critical cusp size.  Watch what tftpd you use or
you'll never get it all.  The tftpd needs to support rollover.
Consider HTTP as it should be more capable and much faster.

> The kernel loads fine, and when I try to boot it without an initrd it panics
> (obious).
>
> I tried to use another kernel and also an ubuntu install CD initrd and it
> then booted fine.
>
> Is there anything else I can do to make our miniroot booting?
>
> Here's the pxelinux.cfg/default config:
>
> default:
>   DEFAULT install-64bit
>   LABEL install-64bit
>   KERNEL install-x64
>   INITRD miniroot-x64.bz2
>   APPEND quiet

2) Start by removing quiet.  it may be supressing your status.

DHCPd config is fine as long as you never want any COM32s in more than
one architecture.  If you want COM32s in more than one, I suggest
different directories or one of the other approaches in the WIKI.

--
-Gene