[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 03:06:40 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 2:38 AM, Mathias Radtke <m.radtke at uib.de> wrote:

> On 18.09.2015 16:35, Gene Cumm wrote:
>>
>> 1) This is actually a critical cusp size.  Watch what tftpd you use or
>> you'll never get it all.  The tftpd needs to support rollover.
>> Consider HTTP as it should be more capable and much faster.
>
> The used TFTPD works fine with BIOS machines.
> I have two Initrd images. One is 64bit and almost 90MB and the 32bit is
> 85MB.
> I know that some tftpd have limitations and I use one of these. I am aware
> of the problem.

What's the exact file size in bytes?  I presume you've done BIOS boots
with your 64-bit kernel/initrd and those succeed?

Have you considered HTTP transfer?

What do you observe?  Does it transfer the file then the Linux kernel
crashes?  Does it spontaneously reboot before completing the
operation?

Have you tried doing a packet capture to see how far this client progresses?

What tftpd?  Have you reviewed the logs for partial transfers?

--
-Gene