[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Mathias Radtke m.radtke at uib.de
Mon Sep 21 04:22:24 PDT 2015

On 21.09.2015 12:57, Gene Cumm wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:36 AM, Mathias Radtke <m.radtke at uib.de> wrote:

>>> What's the exact file size in bytes?  I presume you've done BIOS boots
>>> with your 64-bit kernel/initrd and those succeed?
>> Yes booting with a BIOS machine works fine for both architectures.
>> Here's the size:
>> 87146093 miniroot-20150917.bz2
>> 91362629 miniroot-x64-20150917.bz2
> Thanks for the confirmation.
>
>>> Have you considered HTTP transfer?
>> Currently not as we are bound to the currently used tftp.
> Adding DHCP option 210, forcibly or inside DHCP option 43
> vendor-options, could redirect Syslinux to grab ldlinux.e64 and later
> files over HTTP.
>
>>> What do you observe?  Does it transfer the file then the Linux kernel
>>> crashes?  Does it spontaneously reboot before completing the
>>> operation?
>> The client is a VSphere VM Client.
>> It displayes the IP Address and then:
>>
>> This stalls for minutes and the client reboots afterwards.
> Been there.  I don't know if it's specific to the VMware-based VMs or
> not, yet.  It keeps slowing down its responses, eventually getting a
> lot of retransmissions in the loop and then hits the 5-minute timeout
> mark and spontaneously reboots.
>
>>> Have you tried doing a packet capture to see how far this client
>>> progresses?
> Probably no need to do a packet capture as I've seen this myself and
> moved to HTTP.  HTTP transfer beat out any of my TFTP transfers and
> was quite successful.
>
>>> What tftpd?  Have you reviewed the logs for partial transfers?
>> atftpd
>> here's the syslog output.
> ..snip
>
>> The .c32 files transfered are EFI64 files. I just copied them into the root
>> directory for testing purposes. As soon as the images load I will organize
>> the structure properly
> I could have asked what version but since you've finally described the
> symptoms sufficiently, I'm already aware it won't matter.

Strange thing is that it worked with Elilo. Since elilo is deprecated we
now try to switch to syslinux for BIOS and EFI. I am currently trying
everythin on VMs. Since Hpyer-V is currently out out reach and
Virtualbox does not boot from EFI Network devices i can only test on
VMware VMs.

--
Mathias Radtke, uib

mail m.radtke at uib.de