[syslinux] Chaining to pxelinux.0 6.0.3 from iPXE - ldlinux.c32

Gene Cumm gene.cumm at gmail.com
Mon Sep 21 16:44:32 PDT 2015

On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Alan Sparks via Syslinux
<syslinux at zytor.com> wrote:
> If this is asked before, please point me at the answer, can't find it...

I seem to recall seeing this before.

> With pxelinux 3.8.6 (or, < 5.x), I was able to chain boot pxelinux.0
> from ipxe, having set appropriate values for DHCP options 210 and 209
> for the remote file path and the config file.  This doesn't work with 6.0.3.

I thought I recall a newer commit working nicely.

Just tested from a 1 year old ipxe.iso and it just worked.

> With 6.0.3, this throws the "failed to load ldconfig.c32" error now.
> The files are in the right places, right versions.   If I disable iPXE
> and just use TFTP to boot from same location, it loads fine.
>
> I see from logs that no attempt is made to load ldlinux.c32 from ipxe,
> via HTTP or even TFTP.   Have tried combinations of preloading
> ldlinux.c32 in the ipxe script, changing order of loads, etc, but never
> get past this.
>
> Can anyone school me on how to get this to work in the new order of
> things?  Do I have to load ldlinux.c32 myself (and maybe other modules),
> and if so, how can I get pxelinux to see they're loaded?

No, you can't load it yourself.  It isn't a Linux kernel.

> Thanks in advance for any advice or redirects.
> -Alan

If you need test binaries, please let me know.

--
-Gene