[syslinux] Chaining to pxelinux.0 6.0.3 from iPXE - ldlinux.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 03:12:37 PDT 2015

> On 9/21/2015 5:44 PM, Gene Cumm wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 21, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Alan Sparks via Syslinux
> >> With pxelinux 3.8.6 (or, < 5.x), I was able to chain boot pxelinux.0
> >> from ipxe, having set appropriate values for DHCP options 210 and 209
> >> for the remote file path and the config file.  This doesn't work with 6.0.3.
> >
> > I thought I recall a newer commit working nicely.
> >
> > If you need test binaries, please let me know.
> >

> Newer than .0.3 stable?  I would really like to get the test binaries,
> if you can forward me a link.   I can't get it to "just work," on
> several different types of physical hardware, or KVM instances booting
> kvm-ipxe.   Thanks.

There are no official binaries for testing yet. Gene is offering to
build binaries for you to test (and, I would add, to report back with
feedback).

Regarding KVM, some users reported some problems when testing Syslinux
6.03, but the result might also depend on how the binary files were
built (e.g. which versions of gcc and/or nasm).

Just to be clear, are you using official binaries of version 6.03? Or
are you building your own? If the latter, from which source code,
exactly?

For those building their own binaries, building 6.03 (and/or current
git HEAD) has been known to have some issues when building with gcc 5+.
Also NASM 2.11.6 has some bug and building Syslinux with it will fail,
so it is recommended to avoid such version.

If relevant for you, see also
http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Development

Regards,
Ady.