[syslinux] Chaining to pxelinux.0 6.0.3 from iPXE - ldlinux.c32

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Tue Sep 22 10:42:22 PDT 2015

On 9/22/2015 4:33 AM, Gene Cumm wrote:

> https://sites.google.com/site/genecsyslinux/sl604p0g15-bios.tgz?attredirects=0&d=1
> https://sites.google.com/site/genecsyslinux/sl604p0g15-x64.tgz?attredirects=0&d=1

Tried these new binaries this morning.   No change, still will not
attempt to load ldlinux.c32.

As a context, what I'm really trying to do is get a newer version of
menu.c32 that doesn't hang in some of my customers' contexts - they're
creating KVM/QEMU instances with no graphics, just text console, and for
them menu.c32 is printing exactly the first character of the text menu,
then hanging.   The menu.c32 in 6.0.3 doesn't seem to cause that...

But upgrading the pxelinux binaries - I forgot to mention, am running
the official binaries - will not attempt to load ldlinux.c32.   On my
ipxe script, I set the 210 and 209 options (see below) as works for 4.x
and 3.x, I see the Web server log the hit for pxelinux.0, but never for
ldlinux.c32.

I did try lpxelinux.0 - this does work (with an odd delay) for the
KVM/QEMU instance - but hangs on my hardware test of an HP SL390 with a
Mellanox 10G NIC (older pxelinux.0 versions do work on that).

Any advice on any other debugging, strategies?   Or how I can just fix
the older menu.c32 to work around the above issue and forget the 6.x
upgrade?
-Alan

================
# set up pxelinux boot:
# 209: the URL of the pxelinux.cfg
set 209:string
http://{{site}}/ipxe/menu.cfg?uuid=${uuid}&mac=${netX/mac}&serial=${serial}
# 210: root URL where pxelinux will get files
set 210:string http://{{site}}/tftpboot/bios.604/
set filename ${210:string}pxelinux.0
chain ${filename} ||
#kernel ${210:string}/pxelinux.0