[syslinux] Chaining to pxelinux.0 6.0.3 from iPXE - ldlinux.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 22 23:14:56 PDT 2015

> As a context, what I'm really trying to do is get a newer version of
> menu.c32 that doesn't hang in some of my customers' contexts - they're
> creating KVM/QEMU instances with no graphics, just text console, and for
> them menu.c32 is printing exactly the first character of the text menu,
> then hanging.   The menu.c32 in 6.0.3 doesn't seem to cause that...

About your customers' setup...

Are they using official binaries downloaded from kernel.org?

Which exact version of Syslinux are they using?

Is the menu.c32 file from the same exact version (and build) as the
bootloder file?

What happens if they try to get to the Syslinux boot prompt, instead of
immediately loading menu.c32? Does it hang too?

Could you post their configuration file?

Are they also using ipxe and chainloading?

Is the behavior (menu.c32 showing one character only and then hanging)
replicated by others? Is it happening under other environments / setups
/ VMs?

Is this behavior happening in real hardware?

Is the BIOS fully updated?

Have you/they read the "Common Problems" wiki page in the official
Syslinux wiki?

Regarding your tests with 6.03, I would have additional questions
(exact location of ldlinux.c32; matching version and build of all
files, not just the bootloader; packet capture; ipxe latest version /
latest commit from upstream, version of gcc and nasm, if you are
building anything from Syslinux or from ipxe; updated HP firmware; not
using ipxe; path syntax and TFTP/HTTP protocols in use in your config
paths...), but I will leave those for Gene to decide what to ask for.

Regards,
Ady.