[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 23 13:24:31 PDT 2015

 > BTW if you take a minute and read the first report
 > https://communities.vmware.com/message/2536774
 > You'll realize that VMWare TFTP "surprisingly" does not present slow TFTP transfers
 > when they are driven by MS "bootmgfw.efi"; instead the problem is only shown when
 > transfers are driven by syslinux.efi; At the moment, despite probably VMware not handling
 > the net driver "polling" correctly, I started to wonder if "we" are really handling the EFI Event
 > engine correctly when performing TFTP transfers within syslinux.efi

 It might be a difference
 between using the TFTP and using the UDP
 interfaces, or somesuch.

     -hpa
 <<<

Sure "bootmgfw.efi" is doing something better than we do about TFTP transfers.
They:
1) do not rely on Service Binding Protocols then old EFI firmware PCs do not complain.
2) I think they do better when handling EFI Events and Timers.

The key to see how they do what they do is this bootmgfw.efi function:
TftppGetImageRegular
but the task is time consuming; efi environment functions are only referenced by an index
on a pointer table then knowing what functions they are really calling is not very easy
to see.

Best,
Patrick