[syslinux] Chaining to pxelinux.0 6.0.3 from iPXE - ldlinux.c32

Alan Sparks asparks at doublesparks.net
Wed Sep 23 14:43:57 PDT 2015

On 9/23/2015 3:32 PM, Ady via Syslinux wrote:

>> On 9/23/2015 2:08 PM, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
>>
>>> Even if it still hangs with this test, does it hang exactly as before
>>> (i.e. shows only one character and hangs immediately)?
>>
>> It happens with one entry, or two entries, or three.
>> The configuration  works otherwise perfectly on any other environment.
>>
>> If I simplify to the the following, it still hangs after outputting the
>> one visible character:
>>
>> SERIAL 0
>> default menu.c32
>>
>> label bootlocal
>>   localboot 0
>>
>> label discovery
>>   kernel util/vmlinuz
>>   append boot=live netboot=http fetch=http://10.22.165.41/iso/util.iso
>> ip=dhcp initrd=::util/initrd.img
>>
>> All this works OK on the menu.c32 in 6.x.  I'm just stuck, since I can't
>> upgrade because ipxe chainloading won't work in 6.x.  If I could resolve
>> either way, I'm good.   It's looking like my only fallback position is
>> go with 6.x and abandon ipxe support...
>>

> My guess would be that Gene and others (myself included) would be
> interested in solving the ldlinux.c32 issue more than anything else
> (next-server?, proxy?, setting off other nics?, ...).

I'd be completely thrilled to help debug, if you can advise what I can
do to help.   Unfortunately been 30+ years since I read ASM code, so a
little lost in there.

Is there any possibility under ipxe that pxelinux unloads UNDI support
prematurely, therefore shooting itself in the foot before it can try to
load ldlinux.c32?   Almost what it looks like, it throws the error
instantly, with no apparent attempt to hit the network.

> Regarding some fallback method, you could use PROMPT 1, several SAY
> lines, and/or a DISPLAY file, and moving the menu.c32 option from
> DEFAULT to a LABEL. That would at least provide the option to avoid
> the ENTER key, F1-F12 keys, ONTIMEOUT...) for those having some issue
> with menu.c32. The other users, not having problems with menu.c32,
> would be able to load the menu as option, depending on the directives
> and their own action (or by timer).

Yeah... or abandon ipxe and use TFTP.  At least 6.0.3 works for that...

> Regarding ipxe, I would suggest asking in its mailing list, instead of
> assuming anything.

I've referred to the iPXE mailing list... for quite some time, there has
been a quandry there why chaining to pxelinux 6.x fails due to the
ldlinux load fail.   No one there knows how to solve it, and has not
been able to find a solution.

> BTW, I have read some posts in the HP support forum about some HP
> servers working correctly with manual setup / commands, but failing
> when doing it by some equivalent "automatic" method. Also, the firmware
> updates (whether for the main "BIOS" or for a network card) seem to be
> very relevant.

Except, as I've noted - it's not specific to HP.   It fails generally.
And the only variable, FWIW, is the pxelinux version... same firmware in
play for pxelinux 4.x vs. 6.x...