[syslinux] Chaining to pxelinux.0 6.0.3 from iPXE - ldlinux.c32

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 24 08:42:19 PDT 2015

> >> Regarding some fallback method, you could use PROMPT 1, several SAY
> >> lines, and/or a DISPLAY file, and moving the menu.c32 option from
> >> DEFAULT to a LABEL. That would at least provide the option to avoid
> >> the ENTER key, F1-F12 keys, ONTIMEOUT...) for those having some issue
> >> with menu.c32. The other users, not having problems with menu.c32,
> >> would be able to load the menu as option, depending on the directives
> >> and their own action (or by timer).
>
> "DEFAULT menu.c32" is not a good habit.  DEFAULT should point to a
> real label and you should use the UI directive to call menu.c32 at
> start  ( "UI menu.c32" ), introduced in 3.74.

Perhaps you are misreading my suggestion?

With "UI menu.c32", the user has no choice but to use menu.c32 (at
least at first), which is a problem under the current situation.

The presented configuration file showed "DEFAULT menu.c32", and my
suggestion was to instead use DEFAULT with a LABEL, and put menu.c32
under one LABEL, to be chosen only if desired (IOW, if menu.c32 crashes
in a particular environment, then avoid choosing such label).

This is just a potential temporal workaround, until a better / real
solution is found.

Regards,
Ady.