[syslinux] Trying to create bootable USB flash drive WITHOUT persistence

Paul D. DeRocco pderocco at ix.netcom.com
Thu Sep 24 13:08:18 PDT 2015

> From: Gene Cumm [mailto:gene.cumm at gmail.com]
>
> isohybrid only affects the image.  There are two basic styles, as a
> whole disk image with partition table or as a partition image.  If you
> use partition-style and set the MBR accordingly, it should boot the
> partition.
>
> With isohybrid in partition-style, the entire partition is an ISO9660
> file system.  You'll typically need to recompose the ISO to edit
> anything inside the ISO.  If your partitions leave space, you won't
> need to repartition when applying a new image to the partition.

Thanks, that seems to work, with --partok. The result looks just like it
did before, except that I have a read-only root file system. However, I'm
not sure how this is implemented. My / is loop mounted readonly on top of
/media/sda2/rootfs.img, but if the latter were on a CD, I would think
everything would be snail slow as the system tried to randomly access
files. Does something read the entire image into RAM to speed it up, or
does it rely upon normal drive caching?

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco
Paul                mailto:pderocco at ix.netcom.com