[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 29 19:45:27 PDT 2015

On 09/26/2015 10:36 AM, Patrick Masotta via Syslinux wrote:

> About PXEbc Peter has recently said:
>> The problem with the pxebc is that it only supports one concurrent TFTP
>> connection, and Syslinux expects to be able to keep multiple files open
>> at the same time.
>> http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-August/024025.html
>
> I wonder why should syslinux.efi ever need to TFTP transfer more than one file simultaneously?

Consider the case of INCLUDEd configuration files, for example.

    -hpa<<<
I do not understand.Are we parsing a configuration file and potentially starting new TFTP transfers while downloading it? How can we do this on a single thread?We cannot stop/resume a TFTP transfer then I cannot imagine how to detect an INCLUDE during TFTP transfer N to launch TFTP transfer N+1 if TFTP transfer N is not finished yet, all in a single thread and with none of the TFTP transfers timing out.

I might be wrong but I think syslinux TFTP transfers are "atomic" (they transfer the whole configuration file) later the parsing action on the received file defines if other/s TFTP+parsing actions are required in case the INCLUDE command was previously found. If this is correct then there is never more than one TFTP file transfer at any given time (and we could use PXEbc).
Please let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks.

Best,Patrick