[syslinux] Problem with 90MB Initrd

Patrick Masotta masottaus at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 30 06:27:04 PDT 2015

>I do not understand.Are we parsing a configuration file and potentially>starting new TFTP transfers while downloading it? How can we do this on
>a single thread?We cannot stop/resume a TFTP transfer then I cannot
>imagine how to detect an INCLUDE during TFTP transfer N to launch TFTP
>transfer N+1 if TFTP transfer N is not finished yet, all in a single
>thread and with none of the TFTP transfers timing out.
>
>I might be wrong but I think syslinux TFTP transfers are "atomic" (they
>transfer the whole configuration file) later the parsing action on the
>received file defines if other/s TFTP+parsing actions are required in
>case the INCLUDE command was previously found. If this is correct then
>there is never more than one TFTP file transfer at any given time (and
>we could use PXEbc).
>Please let me know if I'm wrong. Thanks.
>
>Best,Patrick
We can, and do, suspend a TFTP transfer simply by delaying the ACK packet as necessary.
-hpa

<<<
I humbly think this is not a good approach. What happens when the transfers are made using i.e. HTTP instead?I see the costs of this strategy without seeing the benefits; was this done to marginally "simplify" thethe required editing/insertion process when the INCLUDE command is found?
Do you see anything wrong on the alternative approach that i.e. would loop around
"Parsing / Downloading the whole file / Editing"
starting with the line "INCLUDE /pxelinux.cfg/default" ?
Sorry for bothering you with this; I'd love to avoid the dependency on simultaneous transfers (specially under EFI);
please forgive me if I'm wrong.

Best,Patrick