[syslinux] Changes to get CD to boot on EFI System.

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Sat Apr 2 04:18:12 PDT 2016

Hi,

Ady wrote:
> * ISO images,
> * burnt to _optical media_,
> * and using then the resulting _optical media_ to boot in _UEFI mode_,
> * in which the _main bootloader_ for such _optical media_ booting in
>   such _UEFI mode_ is part of The Syslinux Project.

I would be willing to try such an ISO with qemu+OVMF.
Regrettably my real test iron has no EFI firmware.

Do you know the URL of a SYSLINUX EFI System Partition image that
is known to boot from HD ? Or fool-proof instructions to build one ?

I may have asked this already years ago. The long intervals between
the discussions of this topic do not help me with keeping track.
Whatever, now i have quite usable qemu-system-x86_64 and OVMF.fd of
Debian 8. So i could pack a partition image into an ISO as EFI El Torito
image and look whether it gives some signs of life as virtual CD-ROM.

> At this point, some reader could interpret Peter's words as if this
> situation could actually be successfully achieved.

I explicitely asked him for clarification.

Ping ?

> I hope the current status would be improved in the (near) future.

At least we need to put some tangible beef to the explanation of
isohybrid.c option --uefi in the wiki.

It would be helpful to get a hint from hpa, about what situation shall
be described in the isohybrid wiki.

Where any plans or decisions made when mjg implemented --uefi ?
At that time it must have been obvious that Fedora Live CD would boot
GRUB2 via EFI and not SYSLINUX.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas