[syslinux] Changes to get CD to boot on EFI System.

Ady ady-sf at hotmail.com
Sat Apr 2 10:22:46 PDT 2016

> Hi,
>
> Didier Spaier wrote:
> > http://slint.fr/testing/slint64-14.1_syslinux.6.03/slint64-14.1_syslinux.6.03.img
>
> This looks like the content of an EFI system partition.
> Exactly what i need for experiments. Thanks a lot.

I'm sorry to say that, for testing the possibility of booting optical
media in UEFI X64 mode by means of syslinux.efi, that image is not
ideal, for several reasons.

I posted a FAT12 image for such type of (hypothetical) testing during
2015Oct:

 http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2015-October/024526.html

There are potential improvements (or at least, variations) to be
applied to that FAT12 image, one of them being updating both,
"bootx64.efi" and "ldlinux.e64", inside the image to version 6.04-pre1.

Unfortunately, I do not recall that there was actual feedback about the
image back then. Yet, let me be clear: I do not expect the image to
solve the problem. Booting as optical media in UEFI X64 mode by means
of "syslinux.efi" will still fail.

Until Peter and/or other Syslinux developers would invest their own
time and skills to at least test the case, there won't be effective
improvements.

Regarding the "Isohybrid" wiki page, there are some improvements to be
made, but I wish we (or, I should say, users) would stop expecting
"miracles" from this one wiki page (or from just two of them). For
instance, users keep missing even the existence of the "--uefi"
parameter, which suggests that the wiki page needs simplification and
clarity, not "more details".

Still hoping for improvements,
Ady.