[syslinux] Changes to get CD to boot on EFI System.

Thomas Schmitt scdbackup at gmx.net
Tue Apr 5 00:23:25 PDT 2016

Hi,

Jernej Simončič wrote:
> I'll use isolinux.bin directly - oscdimg complained that it's too
> large, so I just dded the first 2048 bytes to boot.bin to get it to
> shut up.

That's quite a deadly surgery.
It is true that BIOS shall only load 2 KB of the binary. But by help
of the boot information table within this initial code piece isolinux.bin
can locate the other bytes of its file, if not cut off.
Well, the checksum in the unpatched boot info table was not valid anyway.

I now remember a (german) discussion which involved Imgburn. It yielded
that if you scroll up from
  http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?/topic/6392-the-imgburn-functions/#entry66440
you get to a paragraph 3.3.2.3.4 "Bootable Disc".
The shown settings together with enabled
  "[] Patch Boot Information Table"
caused isolinux.bin to boot correctly.

I do not see an option to choose platform id. So the shown version of
Imgburn cannot mark a boot image for EFI. (But given the very detailed
options which it offers, i assume that meanwhile such an option was
added.)

> "Virtual machine encountered unhandled exception in firmware".

The SYSLINUX software must step heavily on EFI's toes after it
woke up from CD-ROM media.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas