[syslinux] Creating Syslinux UEFI usb boot

Atle Holm atle at team-holm.net
Wed Apr 20 02:03:46 PDT 2016

I recognize hardware with Lua and execute the ESXi installer with configuration files for that hardware.
This works fine with normal Syslinux boot, but I want to get it working for UEFI boot as well.

I found efi64/efi/syslinux.efi and efi32/efi/syslinux.efi in the installer source, copied them and named them respectively BOOTX64.EFI and BOOTIA32.EFI in USBDISK:\EFI\BOOT.
These were also the original names that the ESXi installer uses for it's UEFI boot files.

However when using the efi files that the ESXi installers ships with, it skips syslinux.cfg and runs directly to boot.cfg (vmware specific file).

In my setup of the regular bios boot usb installer that I want working with UEFI, syslinux reads syslinux.cfg, that presents a menu where I can select what boot.cfg I want to use with the ESXi installer. If I select nothing, a lua script starts that discovers the hardware and executes the correct the esxi installer with the correct boot.cfg.

So that is what I want syslinux uefi to do, and just copying in the files like described above with syslinux.cfg and the rest didn't do the trick.

So the question really is, how do I get syslinux UEFI to read syslinux.cfg and continue from there?