[syslinux] UEFI syslinux.efi fails to download ldlinux.e64

Phil Pokorny ppokorny at penguincomputing.com
Thu Apr 21 23:30:57 PDT 2016

Hello,

I'm looking for and offering help.  I know this has been an on-going
problem and I thought I had seen a fix go by, but I'm compiling from
the latest github.com/geneC/syslinux and syslinux.cz repositories and
I've got a system which doesn't work.

It does DHCP and gets a filename "efi/syslinux.efi" and downloads that
correctly.  It then executes it which clears the screen and displays:

Getting cached packet
My IP is 10.54.50.10
disable UseDefaultAddress

And then it appears to hang there.

Checking the server for network packets, we see the client
(syslinux.efi) repeatedly request "ldlinux.e64" with different path
prefixes.  For valid paths, the server responds with the tsize of the
file. The server sends multiple replies with no response from the
client.

Eventually after trying multiple different path prefixes it gives up
and resets the client system.

I'm offering to help debug this if there are further print statements
to be added to the code to determine why the client isn't getting
packets?

I saw that Patrick Masotta posted a re-implementation of udp.c that
fixed some performance problems for him and that Gene C. was looking
at it, but no further followup showed up on the list and Patrick's
patch doesn't apply cleanly to my syslinux git repository.

Would really like to see 6.04-pre2 or newer announced with a widely
working syslinux.efi that can PXE and HTTP boot.  How can I help make
that happen?

Thanks,
Phil P.

--
Philip Pokorny, RHCE
Chief Technology Officer

Changing the world through technical innovation