[syslinux] Creating Syslinux UEFI usb boot, this project

Geert Stappers stappers at stappers.nl
Wed Apr 27 08:02:48 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 02:30:22PM +0300, Ady via Syslinux wrote:
> Atle
> >
> > I placed these files under BOOT\SYSLINUX\x64, but I got the same error as earlier when UEFI booting:
> > Failed to load COM32 file: vesamenu.c32
> >
> > I also placed them under EFI\BOOT just to try, made no difference when UEFI booting.
> >

> > -Atle
> >

> Why would you put library modules for EFI64 under the working directory
> used for BIOS? Such action just shows, once again, your complete lack
> of any effort from your part.
>
> Please stop generating unnecessary confusion among readers of this
> Syslinux Mailing List.
>
> 1_ Actually subscribe to the ML.
>
> 2_ Actually carefully read the replies already provided to you in the ML.
>
> 3_ RTFW. Some of the potentially-relevant pages would be:
>
>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Install
>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Library_modules
>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Directives/path
>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Working_directory
>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Configuration_location_and_name
>
>  http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php/Common_Problems#Multi-Arch
>
> This list is not exhaustive; you might be interested in following
> additional links from them.
>
> The documentation is not perfect, but it should reduce these questions
> to a very minimum.
>
> I would expect for your next reply to include something about: "I have
> now finally read the wiki pages, and I have succeeded building a mixed
> BIOS+EFI64 booting USB drive".
>
> The only thing that is not yet documented is how to use the optional
> "syslx64.cfg" and "syslia32.cfg" files, simply because there is no
> official release supporting them yet -- the closest thing at this time
> would be 6.04-pre1, or building your own binaries from current git
> head.
>
> If you have any doubts, please go to the Syslinux Mailing List Archives
> and read the entire email thread, starting from your own email:
>  http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2016-April/025130.html
>
> If you still have any doubts, re-read it; the answers to your questions
> have been already provided, either in the emails or in the wiki.
>
> Considering that firmware implementations vary (a lot), there might
> still be cases in which you might not be able to boot with the
> resulting USB drive. You are welcome to ask specific questions that
> would help troubleshoot such problems, especially considering that the
> wiki cannot cover all the knowledge and every-and-all cases.
>
> With this email I am hoping that potential readers would not fall into
> the potential confusions you are generating with these questions.
>
> Regards,
> Ady.

And Ady is right.
This project is no sun like star or such kind of resource.
We do are best to shine, but can't do that unlimited.

The "we" are all those who benefit from a working project[0]
So make some effort that energy goes both ways.

That in other words:
By taking too much, you excaust want you need.

> PS: I wish we would have some note included in the emails that are
> originated from non-subscribers that are being approved anyway.
> Although we could hope every user would subscribe before sending
> emails, we also need to be realistic and flexible enough. Sending to
> them a request for subscription might also be not such a bad idea. Yet,
> abusive behavior bothers me.

Some background information:
 * the mailinglist was open    (like a market place, a place to meet people)
 * the "market place" was a good place to exchange knowledge
 * spammers came
 * mailinglist became "subscribers only"
 * manual check of non-subscriber postings is done
   with mindset of "the market place should be open"
 * seeing a non spam message among the non-subscriber posting, n.s.p.,
   is the reward for not redirecting n.s.p. to /dev/null

I think it is wrong to mark a non-subscriber posting as such.

My approach (and advice) is "Reply-to-list". So no "Reply-to-All".
Questions at the ML get answered at the Mailing List.
No answer to the non-subsriber with the ML in the CC.
Just to the mailinglist (and it's archive)

See it as an extra motivation to subscribe.

Yes, this might seem "incrowd", but hey, I only diner with friends and family.

Groeten
Geert Stappers

Footnote
[0] world / earth / planet / universe
--
a Stranger can be a friend you haven't met