[syslinux] Syslinux Aarch64 porting

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 03:49:58 PDT 2016

On 08.08.2016 07:05, Michael Davies via Syslinux wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any information available on porting Syslinux to 64bit ARM?
>
> Specifically, I have a Cavium ThunderX board (Gigabyte R120-T30) which
> boots using UEFI - b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5864#ov
>

> I'd be very interested in getting this to work, as currently the only
> option for booting on this platform is Grub 2 or EFI Stub. If anyone can
> point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.
>
> I'm keen to contribute to work on this port myself as well, but I want
> to hear if any other work on Aarch64 / arm64 has been done.
>

> Regards,
>
> Michael

[Upstream]
For now "syslinux.cfg" is only benefit toward Syslinux on AARCH64 aka ARMv8 aka ARM64
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/u-boot_syslinux#Summary
"Default u-boot to using syslinux config files for booting. pxelinux for network and extlinux for local booting."

[syslinux] build for ARM (rpi)
http://www.syslinux.org/archives/2013-August/020683.html
"For the boot loader, there's (historically) too much dependency on x86 BIOS.  With porting
to EFI32/EFI64, it's becoming more of a possibility but not there."
G.C.

Add.
https://wiki.linaro.org/ARM/UEFI

$ rpm -qi edk2-aarch64
URL         : http://www.tianocore.org/edk2/
Summary     : AARCH64 Virtual Machine Firmware
Description :
EFI Development Kit II
AARCH64 UEFI Firmware